Sunday 6 January 2013

A New Path


With a new year comes new changes, and for me this is in the form of my career. After dropping back to work part time in 2012, so that I could study to become a Primary School teacher, I now begin 2013 working full time again!

So, you might ask what happened? Well, after a year of studying a Bachelor of Education I realised, like many university students do, that it wasn't the right thing for me. I just couldn't stay motivated to complete the course work (i was doing the degree via distance education) and towards the end of the year my passion for what I was studying disappeared completely. After lots of soul searching, thinking about what I like to do and late night chats with my husband I decided to withdraw from the course and return to my job full time.
Luckily I have a job that I love and continued to love even when I was studying. I work with some incredible and hilarious people and appreciate the opportunities my employer has given me. To describe what I do I would say; admin/communication assistant, executive assistant and the most enjoyable part of my job, desktop publisher. Through staff departures and promotions I have been introduced to the world of design and I LOVE IT! In my job I design and produce a printed bi-monthly magazine which reaches around 4000 people and in my free time I often find myself designing cards, prints to be framed and invitations etc for family and friends. My goal is to learn more about design, enhancing my knowledge of adobe creative programs (outside of InDesign and Photoshop) and learning web design.
Doing what i love...
So, this is where I am in 2013. Happily working full time and madly researching local design schools to brush up on my skills and explore where things can take me.

Anyone who knows me would agree that I am a planner, I always need to know what I'm doing and where I am headed, no leaving anything to chance. Whilst I might now know what I want to do, I don't necessarily know where it will take me and that is both petrifying and exciting.


0 comments:

Post a Comment